Sunday, September 15, 2013

sidebar: "You alone have brought me to Bath"

Friday, 7/26: Bath

The end is fast approaching...

I took the last free day to travel to Bath to do some research for my paper.  Jane Austen lived in Bath for several years, much to her dismay, before relocating to Chawton for the remainder of her life.  The Jane Austen Center is located in Bath, as well as many locations from some of her novels.  It was like the Disneyland for Jane Austen lovers!

The first stop was the Jane Austen Center (of course), and I took a tour of the museum.  A small museum, it is focused on the time that Jane was in Bath, as well as some of the similarities between her life and that of some of the characters of her work, especially those who lived in, and visited, this location.  I spoke with a staff member who informed me that their annual festival would focus on Pride and Prejudice, as this is the 200th anniversary of the publishing of the novel.  Oh, if only I could attend!  We visited the Regency Tea Room located above the museum, for a Jane Austen tea time.. it was heavenly.  If you've never tried clotted cream, it's a must.

The next visit was to the Roman Baths, a must-see stop when visiting Bath.  Though I won't say much - it is really just a hot spring with buildings around it - I will say that it was really cool to walk around a place that has played such a huge part in the history of England.  And no, I didn't try to drink the water, though it is offered...

We walked around a bit, exploring the small town, and walking up to the Circus - no, not a circus with a tent and animals, a circus that is an open area where people congregate.  We did attempt to go to the Assembly Rooms, but they were closed by the time we got there.  Our last stop was Sally Luns; and if you have never heard of that, you are sorely missing out.  It is an institution in Bath as the oldest house in town.  The food was delicious, and we each stowed away a Sally Lun bun for later.  Now I have to figure out how to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment